Below you'll find an ever-growing list of tasks that I've either completed or need to complete in order to finish my first Virtual Reality / Kinect game. While this is really my blogging version of thinking out loud, I do hope it ends up helping people who are in a similar position as I am as I first start writing this.
1. Hook up the Kinect and settle on an SDK which binds it to Unity 3D - DONE. Here I explain why I chose what I chose.
2. Understand avatar tracking, and successfully create a trackable avatar of my own
3. Create a split screen view: On the top of the screen I want to see the avatar from a distance, and on the bottom of the screen I want to see a first person view
4. Make it so that when the 1st person view camera moves using the mouse, the avatar head actually moves accordingly.
5. Ensure that the head movements are realistic.
6. Can the head be moved using the Kinect? Try and see.
7. Make another avatar which faces the first avatar, but about 10 feet away (maybe more)
8. Animate that avatar doing a throwing motion on key press.